Alaska & Yukon Cruise Tour
Holland America – Alaska & Yukon Cruise/Tour
Nieuw Amsterdam – July 21 – August 1, 2018
This was my first cruise and cruise/tour experience with Holland America Line. My overall experience was very good. We sailed for three nights from Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Skagway and did a nine day Land Journey to the Yukon and Denali.
NIEW AMSTERDAM – 3 nights – July 21 – 23, 2018 Vancouver to Skagway
- Easy embarkation in Vancouver - once cleared to you walk directly to your cabin
- $10 dining fee for Pinnacle Grill – very good!
- America’s Test Kitchen – well attended and interesting for those food lovers
- BB King’s – well attended by cruisers and everyone loved this venue - good interaction
- Nice Spa and Gym – plenty of equipment
- Sailed in Cabin 5002 – Front of ship – balcony to the side and front of ship – great experience!
Juneau – Experiences the Whales & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari tour. I highly recommend this tour. Maximum passengers – 14!
Skagway – We disembarked in Skagway and experienced the City Historical Tour – very enjoyable.
White Pass & Yukon Journey Route – took the rail from Skagway to Fraser B.C. and then motorcoach into Whitehorse. Rail experience was very informative. Motor coach stops were in Carcross, Yukon Territory along with a beautiful photo stop at Emerald Lake and Miles Canyon. Emerald Lake looked like a picture from the Caribbean waters!
Whitehorse – Dawson City – Stops along the way – Braeburn Lodge, Five Finger Rapids, Moose Creek and Tintina Trench. All these stops were historical and the Braeburn Lodge was a stop for the Yukon Quest, which is similar to the Iditarod in Alaska. We flew from Dawson City to Fairbanks on our own aircraft on a dirt runway (interesting).
Rail from Denali – Anchorage – 8 Hour trip
Denali is certainly a ‘must do’ while in Alaska!